Illinois Innovation Network
The Illinois Innovation Network is a system of connected university-community-industry-based hubs throughout the state that will work together to drive innovation, economic development and workforce development across Illinois. Hubs will utilize a combination of research, public-private partnerships, entrepreneurship, and workforce training programs to spur economic growth in their region and throughout the state.
The IIN is being developed through partnerships between the University of Illinois System Office of the Vice President for Economic Development and all of the public universities across the state. VPEDI Ed Seidel and Assistant Directors Kristin Roadman, Ben Taylor and Kandace Turner are leading the formation of IIN.
IIN partners operate with these guiding principles in mind:
- Drive innovation, workforce development and economic growth throughout the state of Illinois
- Assess and meet the needs of your region through a combination of collaborative research, public-private partnerships, and entrepreneurship and training programs
- Collaborate with hubs across the state and share best practices
- Advocate for the value of higher education at the state and national levels
Currently, there are six hubs of the IIN:
- Discovery Partners Institute
- Northern Illinois Center for Community Sustainability (NIU)
- Peoria Innovation Hub
- University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
- University of Illinois at Chicago
- University of Illinois at Springfield
All of Illinois' public universities are in discussions to become IIN hubs and announcements are expected throughout 2019.
Hubs in process of joining the IIN:
- Chicago State University
- Governors State University
- Eastern Illinois University
- Illinois State University
- Northeastern Illinois University
- Southern Illinois University at Carbondale
- Southern Illinois University at Edwardsville
- Western Illinois University
Representatives from all of the current and prospective hubs met at Innovate Springfield on Jan. 24. MEETING SUMMARY
For more information about the IIN, contact the VPEDI staff at email@example.com.